Paraguay Impact Trip (May 2020) - Students
Did you know that 35% of the population in Paraguay live in poverty and 19.4% suffer from extreme poverty (living on less than $1 USD per day)?
A complex history of foreign colonization, civil war, authoritarian rule and government corruption has left the country in a very challenging social and economic situation. Many children come from single parent homes with women taking on the burden of being the sole caretaker and provider.
Even as the country has experienced economic growth in recent years, there remains a large social-economic gap between the rich and the poor and very little assistance from the government for the latter.
Since 2006, GAiN has been working with local partners in Paraguay to help bring relief and hope. Through our partnership with Jésus Respondé, Community Centres have been strategically established where children can:
- receive a healthy meal three times a week. With the help of our partner Fraser Valley Gleaners, we have sent 17 containers of dehydrated soup mix, totaling over 17 million servings of food.
- play sports and games
- receive spiritual care
Awana (a children’s discipleship program, also well-known throughout North America) is being run in Community Centres to assist in the ongoing “spiritual nutrition” of the children whose lives we are impacting. As the children’s needs are being met, families are being impacted too.
Through our partnership with Diaconia, a local organization that provides training programs and micro-credit to the poor, many families are getting the “hand-up” they need to begin a journey of breaking the cycle of poverty.
On this trip, students will be given the opportunity to work alongside our local partners to:
- Serve at the Community Centres through sports, games, music, or prepping meals in the kitchen.
- Help at the weekly AWANA clubs
- Lead a vocational training session using your creative skills. Some examples are baking, sewing, cooking, haircutting, make-up application, scrapbooking...the sky's the limit!
- Assist in any construction related activities (if appropriate and timing permits).
You will meet new people from a different culture, learn about a beautiful country that has so much to offer, bring encouragement to others, all the while being challenged to step out of your comfort zone!
Date: May 7-18, 2020
Location: Asuncion, Paraguay
Application deadline: March 20, 2020
Yes! I would like to join this project!
Please click here with any questions and/or to request an application!